When it comes to managing your diabetes, knowledge is power. That’s why we offer a weekly series of four diabetes education classes called Living Well with Diabetes – a Positive Approach.
Our classes are typically led by knowledgeable diabetes educators, including nurses, dietitians and other healthcare professionals who can guide you through your treatment plan to help alleviate any fears, issues or problems. You’ll also learn how to:
- Balance your eating, physical activity, medication and blood sugar monitoring routines.
- Incorporate lifestyle needs – such as cultural eating habits and exercise preferences – into your treatment plan.
- Make traveling and dining out easier and healthier.
- Prevent, recognize and treat high- and low-blood sugars, and devise a plan for sick days.
- Prevent or delay complications such as heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, nerve damage and sexual problems.
- Prevent and treat foot problems with a focus on early recognition.
- Decrease your healthcare costs by reducing the need for expensive hospital stays and treatment of complications.
- Develop healthy coping strategies and problem-solving skills.
- Improve your confidence in your ability to manage your diabetes.
What you can expect from each class
- Diabetes overview
- Diabetes prevention
- Treatment of diabetes
- Monitoring blood sugar
- Meal planning
- General nutrition
- Label reading
- Dining out
- Review of goals
- Pattern management
- Emotional aspects of diabetes
- Stress management and problem-solving
- Review of goals
- Acute complications
- High blood sugar
- Low blood sugar
- Sick-day management
- Chronic complications
- ADA standards of care
Ready to learn more?
For more details, call the Diabetes Education office nearest you and leave your name, address and telephone number. We’ll contact you as soon as possible.
In Flagstaff, call 928-773-2249.
In Verde Valley, call 928-639-6346.
These classes require a physician referral to attend and are usually billed to your insurance. Also, if you’re testing your blood sugar at home, please bring your meter and any recorded results to class.