Billing & Insurance

Frequently asked billing questions

Why didn’t my insurance pay more?

After your health insurance has paid its portion of your bill, the rest is your responsibility. If you believe this amount is incorrect, please contact your health insurance company immediately. Please note that you are responsible for any deductible, co-insurance, co-payment or exclusions outlined by your health insurance plan.

What is an insurance adjustment?

An insurance adjustment, also referred to as a contractual adjustment, is a part of the patient’s bill that is written off based on the contract between an insurance company and a provider.

What is meant by the allowed amount?

The allowed amount is determined by your health plan when the provider is in-network. It is equal to the charges after the contractual adjustment is applied.

What are a deductible, co-insurance, co-payment and out-of-pocket maximum?

A deductible is the amount of money you will need to pay towards your medical bills before your insurance starts pitching in. Your health plan will assign charges to your deductible based on the allowed amount. Once your deductible is met, the co-insurance is a percentage of the allowed amount you will be responsible for. If you have 20 percent co-insurance, 20 percent of the allowed amount will be your responsibility and your health plan will pay the remaining 80 percent. You will continue to pay the co-insurance until you have reached the out-of-pocket maximum, which is the most amount of money you will pay towards your medical bills for allowed charges in a benefit year.

Why am I receiving multiple bills for the same service?

You may also receive billing statements from independent providers who have contributed to your care. Physician services that will be billed separately include, but are not limited to, the services of anesthesiologists, cardiologists, Emergency Department physicians, hospitalists, pathologists, radiologists and surgeons. We are unable to assist you with physician billing. Please contact the physician’s office directly with questions.

What if I cannot pay my bill in full?

Northern Arizona Healthcare is pleased to work out a payment arrangement with you. We offer monthly payment plans, as well as financial assistance to those who qualify. Please contact one of our customer service representatives at 928-773-1848 or 866-733-3017 to discuss your options. To learn more about our Financial Assistance Program and to download the application, please visit our financial assistance page.

Do you offer any assistance for uninsured patients?

The Uninsured Discount Policy provides financial assistance for uninsured patients who are not eligible for coverage, such as Medicare or Medicaid. Patients will receive a discount of 50 percent of the total charges billed. The uninsured discount does not disqualify a patient from additional adjustments. Patients and guarantors with insurance who elect not to use their coverage are not eligible for the uninsured discount. Patient balances resulting from non-covered services, excluding elective cosmetic procedures, are eligible for the uninsured discount. To learn more about our Financial Assistance Program and to download the application, please visit our financial assistance page.

How can I get an estimate for a medical service?

Please visit our online price estimator to see how much you can expect to pay for inpatient hospital care and outpatient hospital services and testing. The tool applies only to NAH hospital services and does not calculate costs for services at NAH clinics or with non-NAH providers. If you have questions about provider or clinic costs, please get in touch with your provider’s office.