Achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Be as lean as possible throughout life without being underweight.
- Avoid excess weight gain at all ages. If you are overweight or obese, losing even a small amount of weight has health benefits and is a good place to start.
- Get regular physical activity, and limit high-calorie foods and drinks.
Adopt a physically active lifestyle.
- Get at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity a week (or an equivalent combination) preferably spread throughout the week.
- Limit sitting, lying down and screen time in general.
Eat a healthy diet, with an emphasis on plant-based foods.
- Choose foods and beverages in amounts that help achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Limit processed meat and red meat.
- Eat at least 2½ cups of vegetables and fruits each day.
- Choose whole-grain instead of refined-grain products.
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, limit consumption.
- That means no more than one drink a day for women; two a day for men.
From the American Cancer Society Guidelines for Nutrition and Physical Activity for Cancer Prevention