August 12, 2022 @ 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
AWHONN’s Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course (IFMC) is a 2 day offering focusing on the application of essential fetal monitoring knowledge and skills in intrapartum nursing practice. The Joint Commission requires that staff demonstrate knowledge and skills appropriate to their assigned responsibilities, which involves more than on-the-job training. They also require documentation of those skills by a qualified professional. AWHONN’s IFMC provides both knowledge and hands-on experience.
At the conclusion of this workshop, the participant should be able to:
- Demonstrate the decision-making process necessary for the proper selection and verification of fetal heart monitoring techniques.
- Analyze fetal heart rate patterns, uterine activity, and their implications for fetal wellbeing.
- Correlate indicated clinical interventions with related maternal-fetal physiology.Describe the role and responsibility of the professional nurse in the use of FHM in intrapartum care.
- Simulate the psychomotor skills used in FHM.
- Communicate verbal and written data about patient status and verify accountability.
The AWHONN Intermediate Instructor Course is a 1-day course that presents principles and application of adult learning theory for teaching the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course.
In order to take the course and become an instructor your must meet the following criteria:
- Current AWHONN membership.
- Successful completion of the current Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course within 3 years previous to the Intermediate Instructor Course.
- Minimum of 2 years recent experience in fetal monitoring.
- Current clinical involvement in fetal monitoring as a staff nurse, physician, manager, clinical nurse specialist, or educator.
- Current responsibility for the evaluation of fetal monitoring clinical skills of others.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development in intrapartum, antepartum, high risk care and fetal monitoring.
Continuing Education Credit
Those who attend and participate in the entire Student course will receive 18.0 contact hours of continuing nursing education credit or 15.25 continuing medical education credit. Competence validation will be awarded when all skill stations are successfully completed with a passing score. Participants must be advised that state and provincial nurse practice acts and institutional policies that prescribe specific independent and interdependent nursing activities and that govern practice must be considered when implementing the described assessments, interventions and evaluations in individual practice settings. Those who attend the Instructor course will receive 8.0 contact hours of CNE, which are provided through AWHONN.
AWHONN is accredited as a provider of continuing education in nursing by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. AWHONN also holds a California BRN number: California CNE provider #CEP580. Accredited status does not imply endorsement by AWHONN or ANCC of any commercial products displayed or discussed in conjuction with an activity. CME is provided through the Professional Education Services Group.
Dates and Times
Class time: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Flagstaff Medical Center:
- February 23 & 24, 2021
- September 29 & 30, 2021
Verde Valley Medical Center:
- July 14 & 15, 2021
At Flagstaff Medical Center, the courses will be held in the Northern Arizona Healthcare Training Center, located at the west end of Fort Valley Shopping Center, 1000 N. Humphreys, Suite 241-242.
In Cottonwood, the courses will be held in the Education Center located in the Courtyard Plaza on the east side of the Verde Valley Medical Center, 269 S. Candy Lane.
$295 Non-NAH Employee
$235 NAH Employee
To register online, please click the appropriate registration button on this page under “Event Details.”
To register by mail or fax, download the class brochure and complete the application form. The class brochure is available on this page under “Event Links and Documents.”
Mail completed registration application to: Northern Arizona Healthcare Education Department 1200 North Beaver Street Flagstaff, AZ 86001.
You also may fax your registration to (928) 773-2430.
Refunds are available less a $120.00 administration fee. No refund is issued if cancellation occurs within five business days of the course.
Event Links & Documents
NAH Education Department